Monday, November 19, 2012

Trying Malifaux

After seeing many online reviews of the game I have decided to give Malifaux a try. I played my first game this past Friday and absolutely love the game. I would like to send out a thank you to Brian at New World Comics and Games, He is the resident Henchman and was patient with me through the learning process. I absolutely loved this game. I hadn't even gotten my miniatures based at this point so he let me use one of his crews to learn to play. I used Perdita Ortega and her crew, while Brian used a Lilith crew he assembled. I'm sure he took it easy on me since it was my first game, but I actually managed to come out with a win. The basic rules are easy to follow and I was able to pick it up fairly easily, though I am sure I still don't have a firm grasp of the game. All in all it was a fun experience and I did learn a lot. After a great time playing the game I am energized to get my crew mounted on bases and painted so I can play them and learn their tactics.

Because I love the Asian theme of the models I decided to go with the Resurrectionists Kirai crew. I have heard that the Ressurectionists are some of the hardest factions to learn to play but I guess I will soon find out.

The first thing I decided to do was design some bases for my crew. Being Asian themed I decided to make a bamboo floor base. I used some wooden toothpicks and cut them down to 1/2" lengths. I then created a square mat with alternating seams and cut out the circles to fit in the Malifaux bases. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during this process so I have no WIP. After the work it took to make the 4 I finished, I decided I wanted to simplify the process for any future models and made a silicone mold of the bases to cast in resin. Not knowing how this would turn out I decided to go cheap my first time and bought the Alumilite Mini Casting Kit from Hobby Lobby. The mold turned out fairly nice and I am mostly pleased with the results.

If I ever decide to remake the molds I will probably make the spaces between the ends of the toothpick pieces a bit wider, so I have more detail in the bases. After making the molds I then cast them in the resin that comes with the kit.
I didn't think to post a blog entry until I had already mounted all of the minis so this is one I had already tried grinding a slot into for the feet. I now have all of them based and it is time to start painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment